Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Illustrated Insomnia

So it's 3:45am and I, your humble rambler, cannot sleep. I've wandered what I could of the interwebs and now I am chilling listening to some Jill Tracy and figuring I'd talk to you guys for a little while.

Why can't I sleep? I think it's mostly because of one thing - I want a tattoo. Now I know what you're all thinking - "But Stephanie, you're terrified of needles!" or the all important declarative statement - "But Stephanie, you are broke as a joke!" Well, this is all true, my friends. All very true indeed.

That doesn't stop me from wanting one, though.

As for the needle phobia, the concept of a tattoo doesn't freak me out in the slightest. My needle phobia kicks in when it comes to a full piercing of the skin and the action of something being drawn out or injected into my bloodstream. I'm guessing it comes from too many psycho horror movies and CSI-kind of shows in my developmental stages and a really horrible experience in the hospital as a kid. Oh, and the concept of novacaine. For something that numbs you to the point of drooling, it SUCKS to get.

Anyway, it's always been a distant musing of mine to get a tattoo. It's fun to sit and think on what I'd get, where I'd get it, etc. And I've had many ideas over the years, all of which are appealing.

But the other day I saw a tattoo on my LJ friends list and I don't know, I can't stop thinking about getting it. This girl's tattoo was very large and colored in ratio to what I'd want to get, but still. I can't stop thinking about it. I've even drawn it on myself and started designing the font in my head.

What the tattoo is, is the phrase "I Move The Stars For No One" from the movie 'Labyrinth.' I want to get it in a small, fantasy-style script, elegant but not too swirly or busy, on my inner wrist. At first I was thinking my right one, but I am right-handed so I've been drawing it on my left wrist and have been getting used to it there now, so either one I think would do. The prob is that if I got it there, I'd spend the rest of my life having to worry about covering it up if my job requires me to do so, for interviews, auditions, performances, you name it.

So I was trying to think of a place where it would be hidden under clothes most of the time and have it be my own private Idaho, so to speak. But that means my mid-section and back more or less and my mid-section is so unattractive. And as for the back, I feel it would look best on the upper back, but then it would still run the risk of needing to be covered or looking strange with clothing lines.

Then there's my OCD. Ever since I was a kid, I felt absolutely horrible about messing up something untouched. Like a fresh snowfall. It hurt me to see footprints get put in it, or have it be shoveled. As fun as it is, I still always had this regret and sadness over it. I LOVE tattoos, I think the ones Casey and all my friends have are absolutely gorgeous on them and augment them perfectly. But I still have that hesitation and pang in my chest over the idea of inking up my own body. I don't know why, it's so stupid, but I can't help it.

Anyway, I was just wanting to share that with you. And if any of you have ideas over where I might be able to stick this sucker where it wouldn't look dumb, let me know!

3 comments:

  1. Ok go to Walmart... go to their craft section... they have awesome fake tattoo books for like $4. They have entire alphabets in different fonts/script plus they have tattoos of every shape and size. You can try it all!!!!! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Duuuuude! That is awesome! Thanks girl, I'll have to check that out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete